Digital signage provides plenty of great uses in the transportation industry and is no longer just about way-finding and scheduling solutions. Today, LED bus destinations displays and other forms of digital signs found outdoors—particularly in transit depots, pedestrian areas, and even onboard public transportation vehicles (for example, the ubiquitous bus destination sign) are extremely useful for all kinds of public information. Established transit sign companies like Transign have witnessed great developments in the role of digital signage displays within the transportation industry. They supply various products in the form of passenger information systems and other types of transit signs to transportation companies and public transit operators.
Beyond their typical use as informational displays, LED signs can be utilized in the transportation industry in many creative ways. No longer are LED bus destination displays only used for destination information. Gone are the days when a bus destination sign was mechanically cranked to tell where the next stop would be. Below are some great digital signage usage scenarios that show how these innovative technologies can be integrated on board public transportation, in waiting areas and beyond:
- As in-transit communication – Digital screens are increasingly being displayed inside public transportation vehicles, taking transit communication beyond static environments like terminals and airports. There are many buses, trains, cars, taxis, trams, and planes that use digital displays and LED screens, not only as in-transit communication devices but also as entertainment systems and perhaps most commonly, as marketing tools.
- As waiting area displays – Digital displays take poster marketing and other static display tactics to the next level by creating a more dynamic medium to present information and deliver messages. Rich media content is what modern audiences are looking for, especially in this day and age of smartphones and app-enabled mobile devices.
- As branding tools – Transit hubs are among the best places to launch branding campaigns because of the wide reach they offer. Today, digital signage displays are being used not only to inform commuters about transit but also to promote brands and messages through dynamic content.
- As news feed displays – Traditional transit depot displays typically show arrival times and trip schedules. Now, with more versatile digital screens, it is possible to broadcast more information than ever—including up-to-the minute transportation news, delays, cancellations, emergencies, and other things that commuters and travelers should be aware of.
- As travel experience optimizers –Digital signage displays in the transportation industry can also help optimize the travel experience by enabling interactive installations and programs that help people travel from point A to point B more conveniently.